Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Feedback on Website

I am a Clipsnation user and I am trying to migrate to 213hoops - good luck with this new project! However, I have some feedback (not related to bugs, but more to structure and layout) on the website and I am not sure what is the correct venue to present it - I thought to create a new forum thread for that. 

I short, I think the website could be improved as of now (even though part of this may be down to personal taste). Some comments on what I think could be changed:

1. The banner at top of the screen is extremely large, and I think it reduces the screen space dedicated to the actual content to an excessive degree.
    1. In addition, I really dislike how the circle on the left of the banner goes below its lower limit, covering part of the text. 
  2. The comment section of the articles is not incredibly easy to read - there is too much empty space surrounding the text within each comment, and the replies are moved to the right a bit too much. This is an issue particularly on mobile, but it is sub-optimal also on desktop.
  3. It could be great if, on the homepage, the articles reported the date and time in which they were published, and possibly the number of comments.
    1. In particular, knowing if there are any unread comments could really be helpful.
  4. I am not sure the forums are clearly organised - in particular:
    1. Why is the overall top category "Game Coverage", given that there is a separate sub-category called "Game Threads"?
    2. What does the subcategory called "First Forum" stand for?
  5. Is it possible that having a "dislike" button could have some negative consequences? I think this presents the risk of posters receiving dislikes if they present unpopular opinions, which could affect the discussion and make the experience less enjoyable in general. Couldn't it be possible to have only "like" buttons (or maybe two separate "like" and "funny" button)?
  6. The text in the forum posts seems to be "bold" by default, which look a bit bizarre. 

Still, the best of luck with this endeavour!

Additional point: the pages report a notice saying "If you like this content, support us on Patreon for even more! ", but there is no hyperlink leading to the Patreon itself. It might be helpful to have a link leading from the 213hoops website to the relevant Patreon page,

Echo a lot of the above.  I posted elsewhere but will repeat for the sake of consolidation:

Great work, fellas!  Along the same lines, can we consolidate the article comments section into the forum?  For example, have each article link to a dedicated forum thread for discussion.  Otherwise, they seem duplicative and the conversations too spread out.  The Forums, I feel, will the fall by the way side like the old Fan Posts on the other site.  It also solves your functionality problem with the comments section.  Much easier to navigate the Forums.  Thanks!

Quote from Carlo T on February 7, 2020, 10:09 am

Is it possible that having a "dislike" button could have some negative consequences? I think this presents the risk of posters receiving dislikes if they present unpopular opinions, which could affect the discussion and make the experience less enjoyable in general. 

I actually like the dislike button and think it can make the experience more enjoyable. (I agree with the other talking points. Thanks Carlo)

I can't see what I am typing on my laptop when I am writing a comment or reply. Thanks for your hard work!

Quote from Carlo T on February 7, 2020, 10:09 am

I am a Clipsnation user and I am trying to migrate to 213hoops - good luck with this new project! However, I have some feedback (not related to bugs, but more to structure and layout) on the website and I am not sure what is the correct venue to present it - I thought to create a new forum thread for that. 

I short, I think the website could be improved as of now (even though part of this may be down to personal taste). Some comments on what I think could be changed:

1. The banner at top of the screen is extremely large, and I think it reduces the screen space dedicated to the actual content to an excessive degree.
    1. In addition, I really dislike how the circle on the left of the banner goes below its lower limit, covering part of the text. 
  2. The comment section of the articles is not incredibly easy to read - there is too much empty space surrounding the text within each comment, and the replies are moved to the right a bit too much. This is an issue particularly on mobile, but it is sub-optimal also on desktop.
  3. It could be great if, on the homepage, the articles reported the date and time in which they were published, and possibly the number of comments.
    1. In particular, knowing if there are any unread comments could really be helpful.
  4. I am not sure the forums are clearly organised - in particular:
    1. Why is the overall top category "Game Coverage", given that there is a separate sub-category called "Game Threads"?
    2. What does the subcategory called "First Forum" stand for?
  5. Is it possible that having a "dislike" button could have some negative consequences? I think this presents the risk of posters receiving dislikes if they present unpopular opinions, which could affect the discussion and make the experience less enjoyable in general. Couldn't it be possible to have only "like" buttons (or maybe two separate "like" and "funny" button)?
  6. The text in the forum posts seems to be "bold" by default, which look a bit bizarre. 

Still, the best of luck with this endeavour!

Thanks for the feedback. I can try and answer some of these but there is an entire forum category dedicated to Bug reports and it is the only one that I check here, so please post there in the future. 

1.  This is by design, and honeslty don't what "banner" you are talking about?
  2. This bug has been reported and we are working on the comment section. 
  3. The articles on the homepage are in descending order, but if that is something that Lucas wants on it, we can do that. It is by design, but the articles on the article stream on the home page do have the date that they were published. 
  4. The Forum has not yet been organized by Lucas and Robert. Ideally they will have different forums for Game Coverage, or whatever you guys want to talk about. 
  5. The dislike button is be design. 
  6. The font in the forum is the same font that is used everywhere, and again it is by design. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Quote from Mark King on February 8, 2020, 10:13 am

Thanks for the feedback. I can try and answer some of these but there is an entire forum category dedicated to Bug reports and it is the only one that I check here, so please post there in the future. 

1.  This is by design, and honeslty don't what "banner" you are talking about?
  2. [...]

Thanks for the quick reply! Regarding the forum category, I did not think to post in the "Bug reports" section of the forum because these are not bugs, just comments on the layout/user experience in general. I can post there in the future though.

Regarding the "banner", I am talking about the top section of the website page (with the website symbol, and then the links to the various sections - Podcasts, Game Coverage and so on). It just seems very large to me.

Thanks for the hard work! 

Off to a great start. Thanks for making this possible!

So I'm not sure if this is intentional/a stylistic choice or if this is a bug, but I just noticed that the comments sections on articles wind up indenting to the left instead of to the right.  So when someone replies to a comment, the reply winds up further to the left than the original comment instead of the format on ClipsNation where replies get indented to the right.

Quote from chogokin on February 11, 2020, 4:20 pm

So I'm not sure if this is intentional/a stylistic choice or if this is a bug, but I just noticed that the comments sections on articles wind up indenting to the left instead of to the right.  So when someone replies to a comment, the reply winds up further to the left than the original comment instead of the format on ClipsNation where replies get indented to the right.

This has been resolved. 

So as a general note on the comments section on articles, I feel like it's a little wonky because it's really vertical as a result of each line of text being kind of narrow.  So a couple more suggestions for the comments section on articles:

1.  Reduce the amount of empty space for each comment:  I feel like the entire row just for our avatars/icons is a bit much, and that we could cut down on the amount of empty space for each comment if we just have the text start right next to the avatar/icon (which is pretty much the format we have here in the Forum).   

2.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this properly, but, to get more space for text in the comments section, would it be possible to expand the comment boxes further to the right?  I noticed that the Latest News/Recent Forum Posts/Podcast text boxes look like they end when the comments section begins, but that the text boxes of the comments themselves don't extend past where the Latest News/Recent Forum Posts/Podcasts would be if they extended further downwards.  As in, the vertical column of the Latest News/Recent Forum Posts/Podcasts looks like it extends into the comments section, which is limiting the amount of horizontal space each comment has, which winds up making comments longer vertically and restricting the amount of text in each row.

Anyways, just a couple of thoughts - great job on setting everything up, and I'm looking forward to seeing this place get more and more established (especially after seeing what a dumpster fire CN has devolved into)!

Can we also get a comment count on the main page? And a link that goes directly to the comment section?

The site looks great. The content is excellent. Thanks for making this happen!

I've read some comments on the old site that the comments section here needs to be fixed and I have a feeling that is hurting participation. If the comments section linked to news articles was formatted the same as this, I'm certain that would solve the issue.  I'd do that ASAP as the old site is dead, and with it, your ability to inform people.

Thanks again guys! Keep up the good work. Go Clippers!

Ban CRVZW or whatever. He’s a lakers troll who blew up clips nation and will do the same thing here. 

Quote from KingAlfonse on February 22, 2020, 9:58 pm

Ban CRVZW or whatever. He’s a lakers troll who blew up clips nation and will do the same thing here. 

The dude is seriously mentally ill. A Bronsexual weirdo who spends all his time trolling Clipper websites from his mom’s basement.

You can't ban him for life when he signs up with his email?

Quote from CLIPSCITY on February 24, 2020, 9:18 am

You can't ban him for life when he signs up with his email?

we sadly live in a world where it takes about 6 seconds to make a new email, would have to ban his IP address, and even that is pretty easy to dodge in todays age 

🙁

I like 213 hoops better than Clipsnation. Its a lot brighter than Clipsnation. There were always so many ads that it was hard to load the comments and the content. In my opinion it looks a lot more friendly looking. I like the set up with the threads, content and then the podcast at the bottom. The only thing that is an issue is when I log in then click on the 213 hoops sign and it goes back to logging out. This might be a "me" problem not the website problem but just saying....

And great job on the website!!!!!!!