Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Buyout candidates

Who should we pursue?

Well the obvious one is Darren Collision. But i think the underrated one that we should pursue is Joakim Noah. He's going to be a fantastic defensive big that we can get and play for 10-15 min without any issues

How does thia "buyout" work against trade deadline?

My top 2 would be Darren Collison and Tristan Thompson. 

If the Clips can't get either of those guys, at PG I think Jeremy Lin, Tyler Johnson, or Galloway would be good, and at PF/C I think Marvin Williams, Andrew Bogut, or Miles Plumlee would help.

2 roster spots.  I don't think they really have a glaring need, but basically trying to get some end of the bench/injury insurance guys.  I feel like they really could use pretty much every position (except for probably PF where they're pretty stacked). 

Rotation wise, I think they probably have the biggest glaring hole at guard/wing, as McGruder shouldn't be getting any playing time.  I don't think a buyout level player is getting playing time at any other spot. 

I think injury insurance PG is the top priority.  Trey Burke would be a phenomenal addition, but he might pursue more minutes.

Then, I don't know if they have a greater need at C, or on the wing.  Rodney McGruder is technically the current 10th man/depth wing, but he's been so bad...  At C, the Clippers don't really have a 3rd playable C (Motley), but they can go small with JaMyke at C if they need to.  If Zu gets hurt, though, they'd be in a lot of trouble in a series against a team with a legit 5.

I think with Bev's groin possibly being an issue, we need a backup pg the most, then a 7 footer to back up Zu for safety. I don't know anything about Joakim anymore, got to be a reason he's not in the league, injury, etc. Just had a random though, what about giving Juwan Evans another look since he knows the system (although none of the players have been here since he was here). 

According to Windhorst, Klutch told the Cavs TT won’t take a buyout.  Seems like bad advice given he’s going to now backup Drummond and Love for the rest of the season.  Better to prove his worth by playing for a contender but what do I know.

I want Trey Burke and Marvin Williams.  Langston Galloway is worth a look.

buyout seems like going to be very underwhelming.

MKG and Marvin Williams both signed with Dallas and Milwaukee respectively.  Not sure if anyone else is getting bought out.  The big shoe to drop would be if Reggie Jackson does, but his comments this week aren't encouraging.  

Bring back Sindarius Thornwell and Tyrone Wallace?  Maybe there are some other young guys we can take a look at.  

Trade acquisition vs buyouy player= Basically in a trade you have to pay that player for the duration of their contract and a buyout player will get paid for the remainder of their contract by their current team (usually expiring contract that year) and new team only has to sign them to a minimum contract I believe, but somebody or Lucas correct me if I am wrong.

The 2 players I hope we pick up: Evan Turner (PG/SG) and Joakim Noah (C) who had achilles surgery like 5 months ago. It's a tough injury to come back from, but he has been rehabbing it hard and I think he could play like 5-15 minutes depending on the match up in the playoffs. Evan Turner would be to fill in for injuries during the regular season, but not get any minutes in the playoffs.

I hope Houston steps in and claims Markief Morris off waivers. He fits a need for them, they can claim him using their trade exception, and it would keep him away from the Lakers. Makes too much sense. If only their owner wasn’t so against paying the luxury tax...

Quote from sameoldclip on February 21, 2020, 8:07 pm

I hope Houston steps in and claims Markief Morris off waivers. He fits a need for them, they can claim him using their trade exception, and it would keep him away from the Lakers. Makes too much sense. If only their owner wasn’t so against paying the luxury tax...

From what I understand teams rarely do this because they don't want to piss of agents. Can't see it happening.

Quote from wwshep on February 21, 2020, 10:43 pm
Quote from sameoldclip on February 21, 2020, 8:07 pm

From what I understand teams rarely do this because they don't want to piss of agents. Can't see it happening.

Lakers can also offer him more $$$ as they still have the Boogie injury exemption that they were granted prior to the season I believe